Social Action Committee
Chair: Liz Hamilton and Regina Pugh
The Social Action Committee focuses its efforts on projects concerned with alleviating the burdens of homelessness and poverty within our larger community. Projects include:
· Serving as a support congregation for the Interfaith Hospitality Network
· Providing volunteers for the annual Prepare Affair, sponsored by People Working Cooperatively
· Providing volunteers for Crayons 2 Computers, the Cincinnati free store for teachers from schools with a high proportion of low income students
· Donation collections for area shelters
· Participation in Unitarian Universalist Service Committee projects, which work to advance human rights and social justice around the world
· Holding an annual blanket making day for Project Linus
We also hold workshops and seminars to increase awareness of issues.
We strive to provide opportunities for members and friends of all ages, interests and abilities who wish to express their spirituality through social action. We warmly welcome all to join, participate in or learn more about the Social Action Committee.
The Social Action Committee holds a monthly meeting and potluck on the third Wednesday of the month from 6:30—8:00 p.m. All congregants are welcome. For more information, please contact Liz Hamilton.
Heritage Universalist Unitarian Church is committed to supporting our shared UU principles through action and service within our congregation, the local community and the broader world. To meet its mission, social action efforts are led by three active committees within the church:
1. The Social Action Committee—concentrating its activities on homelessness and poverty issues, and other general social action projects.
2. The Green Sanctuary Committee—undertaking environmental issues, including achieving Green Sanctuary certification under the Unitarian Universalist Association.
3. Interweave—supporting UU gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender people, with outreach to the g/l/b/t community.
View a calendar of upcoming projects and events.